Thursday, January 5, 2012

peace


I love how there are people in this world who exude tranquility. I possess a certain kind of peace that comes from inside me but if you chanced to meet me you would never, upon describing our interaction to someone else, call me "serene". You wouldn't say to your friends, "Let me tell you about this incredibly serene person I met yesterday".

You just wouldn't.

I am pretty okay with that. Sort of. I wish I was gentle and tranquil and serene but I'm not. Calm and gentleness don't lay easy on my tongue. I may have those feelings from time to time, but not on a regular basis and certainly not spontaneously or when required. In fact, at the exact moment when I most need to feel tranquil and filled with love, that is usually the very moment when I feel frustrated, agitated, and flustered instead. Maybe a little angry too, just to make it interesting.

I wonder how people do that. Were they born this way, or did they learn it? If you can learn a thing like serenity, do you have to practice it all the time or does it become second nature to you?

However it happens, I'm glad people like that exist and that I run into one of them once in a while. It's a gift, like a breath of fresh air.

1 comment:

  1. I think it's innate, and has nothing to do with the things that have befallen that "serene" person. I have always hoped (wished) that if I were ever smitten with a disabling event (accident, illness, etc.) that I'd be able to exude serenity. probably not...

    ReplyDelete