Friday, November 16, 2012

pantry cooking


Today I cobbled together some online recipes to make a pot of soup that I am calling:

Enchilada Soup

1 lb lean ground beef (I used a pint jar of pressure-canned ground beef)
2 tablespoons dehydrated onion flakes (or 1/4 cup chopped yellow onion)
1 clove garlic, minced
1 14.5 oz can diced fire-roasted tomatoes, undrained
1 11 oz can whole kernel corn, undrained
1 15 oz can red kidney OR pinto beans, rinsed
1 15 oz can black beans, rinsed (I used some cooked black beans I had in the freezer)
1 20 oz can red enchilada sauce
1 cup beef broth (I used 1 cup very hot water and 1 tsp. beef base paste)

Brown the ground beef with the onion and garlic. Add the other ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Serve in bowls and top with tortilla chips, shredded colby-jack cheese, and a spoonful of sour cream if desired.

Makes 3 quarts of soup which I have placed in the freezer for dinner on cold wintry nights.

No comments:

Post a Comment