Monday, March 11, 2013

menu plan for this week

This week's menu includes:
  • pork loin with carrots, potatoes, and parsnips cooked in the crockpot with a can each of cream of mushroom soup* and french onion soup* and a little water, served with gravy made out of the liquid in the crockpot at the end of the cooking time.
  • barbecue pork on homemade buns* with crispy root vegetable cakes.
  • enchilada soup* with cornbread.*
  • ham and beans* with leftover cornbread.
  • bean burritos* with cheese* and homemade pico de gallo
  • dinner out!
  • a no-cook day with whatever is left over in pantry and fridge that needs to be eaten up.
Today I have been sewing wonder ovens. I am trying one out for the first time tomorrow with a batch of pinto beans that I have soaking in anticipation of this historic event. Lately I've been cooking large batches of beans at once and then storing them with their cooking liquid in the freezer in quart size freezer bags and it's been a lot easier to pull some out for a quick thaw to make burritos or whatever else at a moment's notice. If the wonder oven works properly I will never have to hover over a pot of beans again. Which will be awesome. I have a feeling, though, that using the wonder oven will require some trial and error and practice. Like all cooking does.

*These are or contain ingredients that I keep in my long-term food storage.

No comments:

Post a Comment