Wednesday, September 26, 2012

In which there is a little bump in the road


I tried a new recipe last night that I was so excited about. It is one that I found on the Internet, has shelf-stable ingredients, and is different in a way that I'd never thought of before. It is something that some other family eats all the time.

Hot Ham Rolls. I figured they'd be delicious. They consist of a ham filling rolled up inside a biscuit. Think of a cinnamon roll but with biscuit dough, and ham and mushrooms inside.

I had this all worked out in my mind. I've sourced canned ham. I've looked into how to pressure can ham myself. I tried to find out when hams might go on sale so that I might make this as frugally as possible. I've researched powdered shortening and determined for health reasons that I would use powdered butter instead. Which I just happen to have a #10 can full of, and have been looking for a reason to use it.

My family would love it, and I'd be a superstar.

Except we didn't love it. It's not that it was awful, it just wasn't great. Not something where anyone would say "YAY!" when I said it's ham rolls for dinner. It was pretty bland, and the biscuit part wasn't wonderful. Maybe because of the butter powder instead of the shortening powder? I don't know for sure but I'm not quite ready yet to blame the butter.

I've decided to try it with a raised yeast dough instead. I have a dinner roll recipe that is never-fail for me, and while I was standing there thinking about it last night I realized that not only do I have butter powder, I have egg powder and milk powder too, so it is possible that I could blend everything in the recipe together into a kind of hot roll mix, have it pre-measured and ready to just-add-water, and the whole thing would be super fast and easy when it came time to make dinner. I would have to give them time to raise, it is true, but if we actually like them it might be worth the time. Would it need to be refrigerated? I don't know. I do keep my yeast in the fridge. I need to think about this and experiment a bit.

I'm also going to work on the filling. It needs some kind of vegetable and more flavor.

In the end, I still like the idea of hot ham rolls but the recipe needs to be reworked to suit our tastes. I'm very glad I tested the recipe first before making it something we will always have in our 3 month food storage rotation.

1 comment:

  1. I like the idea of raised yeast bread as the roll instead of biscuit dough. Seems like there should be many things you could add to make the flavors more zippy.

    ReplyDelete