Tuesday, March 15, 2011

March to-do list


Another Mormon congregation in my area has suggested monthly tasks for their Relief Society to do in order to become better prepared and self-reliant. An organized and systematic way to learn and practice living more providently over the course of a year. I'm going to do my best to keep up with them, and I hope that writing about my efforts and results here will give me some sense of accountability.

(Also, I hope that it will serve as a reminder that I'm doing this year-long project. Because I fear that I'll get halfway through and forget about it. Or maybe not even halfway through. Maybe I'll forget about the whole thing by later this afternoon. Things don't seem to stick lately. It's disturbing. But I digress.)

For March the job is simple. Start a garden.

Knowing my limitations both in attention span and ability to withstand long hours working outside in the hot summer sun, I decided a container garden will do. I thought about it, realized that tomatoes and peppers are what I most like to eat as far as fresh veggies go, added in my desire to use more fresh herbs in my cooking, and got started. I begin with:
  • a single roma-style tomato plant.
  • two varieties of peppers - bell and jalapeno.
  • chives
  • basil
  • cilantro
  • parsley
  • dill
Start a garden? Done.

(I may as well confess right here and now that it's not only that I do want to use more fresh herbs in my cooking, I greatly fear that birds, insects, drought, and disease will impede my progress and success with growing vegetables. In order to not be a complete failure at gardening, herbs have been added to the container garden.)

2 comments:

  1. Well, I won a prize at Destiny's shower and it's a herb garden kit. I will plant and start it. I wish I were a garden person. I wish I were a garden person. No matter how many times I say it, I still am NOT a garden person.

    My Nana was such a wonderful gardener. She loved geraniums (they grow like weeds in San Diego) but she wanted ALL of them, so she found and planted seeds for every variety. She would take me all around her geranium beds showing me all the different varieties.

    Nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a garden person. I do the flowers and Tom does the veggies. We compliment each other like that! We are 'plant' people I spose.

    ReplyDelete