Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Today I shall


cook!

Sort of. I am cooking, but mostly I'm getting organized. I've got lots of ingredients in my freezer and food storage, but that doesn't mean that I have actual meals that we can eat. So today I'm cooking those ingredients and tomorrow I will assemble them all into recipes.
  1. I've got a whole chicken in the crock-pot. I'm starting it frozen and seeing how it does. This chicken is destined to become part of a few different dishes so how it looks (the skin might not be golden-brown and delicious-looking) isn't all that important to me.
  2. After I've got all the meat off the bones I will throw the chicken carcass, more celery, onion, and carrots, a bay leaf and a few peppercorns along with additional water back into the crock-pot for several hours to make chicken stock for the freezer. Later this fall I will use the stock to make different kinds of soup.
  3. I also have a couple of boxes of long grain and wild rice mixes,
  4. a giant pot of plain white rice,
  5. and some spaghetti noodles, all cooking away on the stove top.
  6. Today I will also chop lots of vegetables,
  7. and sort some truly giant bags of shredded cheese into smaller, more manageable quart-sized ziploc bags and these will also go into the freezer.
Tonight we will have chicken fried rice for dinner. I will fry some cooked white rice in a big, shallow frying pan, add a couple of chopped up scrambled eggs, some diced, cooked chicken, a cup or so of frozen peas and carrots, and some soy sauce and cook until the vegetables are cooked through.

I don't have a wok.  I also don't have anywhere in the kitchen to keep a wok. So it's just as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment