Sunday, March 28, 2010

When things go haywire


or, when life gets nuts.

One of the things that goes along with my Relief Society job at church is that if the regular teacher can't make it for any reason, it's my responsibility to either:
  1. find a substitute, or
  2. teach the lesson myself.

I'm basically in charge of the Sunday women's meeting. And not basically in charge. I am all the way in charge of it. If I blow it off someone else will be scrambling around to get things covered. Not that that's ever happened though. Of course not.

Today the unthinkable happened. About an hour before church started (in other words, way too little time to find a sub, and while I was still unshowered and wearing my jammies) I found out that the teacher unexpectedly had to work today. The good news is that it's the first time in about six months that this has happened. The bad news is that I wasn't prepared to teach the lesson.

I winged it. I'd at least read the lesson ahead of time, and although I like a good, solid three hours to prepare a lesson, I didn't have any time at all. I was flustered, I was nervous, I was unprepared, I was sweaty. I was thrown for a loop.

It went fine anyway. I was able to settle down and get my head clear and stop sweating (very important when you're standing in front of a large group of people!). I felt the Holy Spirit whispering to me that the principles I was teaching are true. I felt my testimony of the Gospel grow.

One of my friends gave me a Mormon Tabernacle cd on my birthday a couple of weeks ago and my favorite hymn, How Firm A Foundation, is one of the songs on the cd. My Little Prince and I have been listening to the cd every morning as I drive him to seminary and it has really made an impact on my days. The third verse goes like this:

Fear not, I am with thee, oh be not dismayed
For I am thy God, and will still give thee aid.
I'll strengthen thee, help thee, and cause thee to stand,
Upheld by my righteous, omnipotent hand.


My cup runneth over.

No comments:

Post a Comment