Monday, December 20, 2010

WFD? 12/20

This morning I knew it was going to be a long and busy day. As I stood gazing into the freezer and refrigerator and contemplating dinner tonight I knew that a big shopping trip was going to be added to my to-do list. There just isn't a lot there.

I found a recipe that calls for everything I have on hand. Hooray! So this morning into the crockpot went the last bits of this and that. Chicken and Sausage Gumbo smells fabulous. I haven't eaten it yet, but judging by the smell wafting through my house, it's definitely going into our regular dinner rotation.

Chicken and Sausage Gumbo (from my BH&G New Cook Book, page 544)
Make a roux with:
1/3 cup oil
1/3 cup all purpose flour
Cook on medium-high heat for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Lower heat to medium and cook, stirring constantly, for 15 more minutes or until dark reddish-brown in color. (I stopped after 10 minutes because I got nervous). Cool.
In a crockpot combine 3 cups water (I used 1 cup water and two cups chicken stock because I had some in the fridge that needed to be used up) and cooled roux. Add:
12 oz. cooked smoked turkey sausage links, cut up (I used a package of skinless polska kielbasa because that's what I had)
1 1/2 cups chopped cooked chicken or 12 oz. skinless, boneless chicken pieces (I chopped up 5 thawed, boneless chicken tenders because, again, that's what I had)
2 cups sliced okra (None for me, thanks. I think okra is one of those things that you have to either grow up eating or learn to love. I haven't done either.)
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green sweet pepper (I used 1/2 of both a red and a green sweet bell pepper because I had them leftover from fajitas the other day and needed to use them up)
1/2 cup chopped celery
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
Stir it all together, put the cover on the crockpot, and cook on low for 6 to 7 hours, or on high for 3 to 3 1/2 hours. (I usually start the crockpot on high for an hour or so just to get it really going good, then turn it to low for the rest of the day.) Serve over hot cooked rice.

What I really love about my crockpot is that I can put food in there in the morning when I have a few minutes, and get everything cleaned up, and then late in the afternoon when I'm tired and maybe a little hassled and grouchy, dinner is ready but the kitchen is clean. Ahhhh...

3 comments:

  1. I printed this out and will make it tomorrow. Can't wait. I discovered that even while I am home all day and have the time and even the desire to cook, putting a meal in the crockpot is very satisfying--the house smells wonderful all day, and it am more likely to get other, less desirable things done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom, this was really good. One thing that I did was to turn it back up to high and take the lid off the crockpot for the last hour and a half to let the sauce boil down and thicken a little. Does okra thicken stuff? If it does, leaving it out may have been why my sauce was too watery. It was a delicious dinner. I have a feeling there will be a race to see who gets to it first for lunch today. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okra acts like a thickening agent in gumbo and other dishes, due to the slime factor, so it is important. I would think, though, that adding more roux would be a good substitute.

    ReplyDelete