Friday, May 28, 2010

This message has been...

brought to you by the Mental Health and How to Keep It Association of Katy, Texas.

Yesterday was so...well...so yesterday.

It started at 8:30 a.m. with me getting data service activated on my new phone! And how great is that! (Well, my day never starts at 8:30 a.m. More like 5:30 or 6:00.) But then it didn't work. And when I realized that it wasn't working I started bawling.

Now I'm not a baby any longer, and I've learned a few things. One of the things I've learned is that if you start crying over something as trivial as your phone not having Internet at 8:30 a.m. you need to take a mental health day. And a nap.

So I dried my tears, decided that everything on deck for yesterday was immediately cleared off, and took a two-hour nap.

I felt marginally better when I woke up so I drove to the high school and picked up my Little Prince who had exempted some of his final exams and was therefore dismissed early from school. We went out to lunch and while we were at lunch my bff D called and we decided we'd meet at my house and then decide what fun thing we were going to do next.

(We decided that D would go with me while I went ahead and did one of my Relief Society jobs that I had previously cleared off the deck - visiting a lady in the hospital recovering from some heavy-duty problems - and we went and we had a fun time and hopefully brought some cheer and relief to that good woman.)

Anyway, we had a great afternoon and lots of good girl talk, and when I got home I discovered that pretty much the whole world had fallen apart while I was gone. I spent the next several hours fixing up the world and went to bed at a reasonable hour.

It was kind of a hectic day that started out pretty much sucking and ended up okay. I don't feel guilty for not saving everyone from their problems. I do what I can, and that is going to have to be enough. (I don't feel guilty. I don't. Do I feel guilty? No, I do not.)

My wonderful Mr. Dub and my tech-savvy Little Prince fixed my phone for me. Now it beeps every time I get an email. I need to figure out how to stop that because it is annoying.

I'm happy today. I've got a full line-up of things to do and people to see today. And that's okay. I'm adjusting. You know what ol' Darwin always said, right? If you don't adapt, you die.

Or something like that. Have a great day, everybody!

3 comments:

  1. You know, I had forgotten how stressful life is when you have a family to tend to, and lots of other responsibilities on top of that. I get a mental health day every day if I want one. If I don't, I just do whatever I feel like--quilt-making, sewing for grandchildren, baking bread, cooking something new, NOTHING (yes, some days it's nothing, and I just go get a manicure), or running around with Bobby doing whatever it is he's doing that day.

    I think it's definitely something to aspire to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do so much for so many... sometimes you just need to say "enough!". I'm glad you know the signs for when it's time to do that... before your head explodes. Sometimes my head explodes.

    ReplyDelete