Monday, October 15, 2012

this week's food waste

Into the trash goes:
  1. a half-full bowl of ravioli that Avery started weeks (?) ago but never finished.
  2. one bunch of wilted/yellowing parsley. I never made what I bought it for.
On the menu this week to use up the stuff in the fridge:
  1. chicken pot pie which will use up leftover rotisserie chicken, a few small potatoes that are rolling around in the potato basket, some carrots and celery (that I took on an outing for snacks but got partially frozen in a fridge that was set too cold - they've lost their fresh quality but will be fine to be chopped up and sauteed), a few slices of bacon, about 2/3 cup leftover chicken gravy, with some pie crust trimmings re-rolled and made into the top pastry.
  2. a veggie pizza with fresh spinach, tomato and onion.
  3. a small cheesy ham and potato casserole with some leftover Velveeta and other random cheeses in the deli drawer, the rest of those little potatoes, some chopped onion, and a bit of ham that I have in the freezer.
  4. tacos and cilantro/lime rice for lunch for me one day.
Successes:
  1. I came up with a new way to cook/flavor rice based on a dish I had heard about but not seen a recipe for: cook 1/4 cup chopped onion in a tablespoon of butter and a tablespoon of olive oil for a couple of minutes. Add 1 cup rice. Saute, stirring occasionally until some of the rice grains begin to turn golden brown. Add 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules and 1 3/4 cup water. Bring to a boil and cover; turn heat to low. Cook for 17 minutes, turn off heat and mix in 1 tablespoon cilantro paste and 1 tablespoon lime juice. I made this for a small dinner party I had this week and it was a big hit. I get the cilantro paste at Walmart. I don't buy (and throw away most of) fresh cilantro in bunches anymore because it goes bad too quickly.
  2. Instead of going through the drive-thru or eating frozen prepared food from the store for dinner on an unusually hectic day wherein we needed good, hot food in a hurry I bought a rotisserie chicken. We ate some leftover mashed potatoes and green beans with it. By the time it's gone we will have had at least 3 meals out of it. Thank you to my good Mr. Dub for suggesting the chicken.
I am thinking about doing some kind of "No Spend" month in the near future. I am not sure I can do it, or even how much I really want to do it.  I'm just thinking about it at this point. Have you ever heard of it, done a no-spend month, or talked to anyone who had? What boundaries would you set for yourself for necessary spending in this sort of experiment?

1 comment: