Tuesday, November 17, 2009

book review

I went to my book club today - it's always so fun and it makes even a good book so much more interesting when I hear what other people thought and noticed about the book. There's always something I hadn't thought of myself...

Anyway, today we reviewed A Year Down Yonder by Richard Peck. It is a super fun book and it's one that I've read at least once a year for several years now. It's written for older children and young teens and is about a 15 year old girl who is sent to live with her grandmother for a year because her parents have lost their jobs and can no longer afford to keep her with them in Chicago. Grandma Dowdel lives in a small, country town.

This book is laugh-out-loud funny. The author really understands his characters and they are completely believable. As someone (Hi, Linda!) pointed out in book club today, Richard Peck must have a lot of strong women in his family and he clearly paid attention.

There are a lot themes in the book that can spark thought and contemplation if you care to take it that far. If you don't, that's okay too. It will still be a hoot.

No comments:

Post a Comment