Monday, March 2, 2009

Grateful #2

Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them.
~ Arnold Lobel

I'm grateful I was taught to read and appreciate books. I don't know what a person does who isn't a reader of books and I have no idea how to relate to them.

I love everything about books. There are books in every room in my house. (Except the bathrooms. I would never besmirch a book by taking it in there - that's what magazines are for.)

I love how a new book smells and looks, and I love how it feels in my hands. I love the anticipation and promise a new book offers - I read for escape, for entertainment, for knowledge, for insight, for education, and for the simple pleasure that the act of reading gives me. Nothing makes me so furious as when I finally get my hands on a much-anticipated new book and it turns out to be a complete dud.

I love old books too, and enjoy reading my favorites again and again. They are like old friends: comfortable, proven, and satisfying.

I'm grateful for books.

4 comments:

  1. ROFL @ "that's what magazines are for!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love books too. I finished "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" last night, and it was ever so beautifully satisfying. That one is a keeper for sure. I'm glad I bought it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gabby,
    My friend on goodreads just read that book too and she rated it 5 stars. I've never even heard of it. Maybe I'll have to check it out. I love books too and have a quote that says "A room without books is like a body without a soul." (can't remember who it's by though)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trisha, I reviewed the book here back in February. It's on our book club list this year.
    That quote is by Cicero. : )

    ReplyDelete