Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Grateful #24

Some of you may know that I'm not a gadgety-type person. Mostly I think gadgets junk up cabinets, drawers, counters, and so forth. Sometimes gadgets work, and sometimes they don't, and you never know till you try them (which of course means you have to buy it first). I'd rather keep my money and figure out a way to use something I already own to do whatever job is at hand. I prefer to get along without whatever is the latest and greatest.

Alton Brown says you should never have a tool in your kitchen that does only one thing execpt for a fire-extinguisher. Your cooking tools should be multi-functional. I really like that because it means less junk in my kitchen drawers. I hate clutter and strive to rid my home of it at every opportunity. If I'm not sure if I'll ever need something again, or if it's broken or stained, or missing some vital part, or just because I'm sick of the way it looks or works, I generally toss it. I rarely, rarely miss the stuff I've thrown away.

It's liberating, it's freeing, it's illuminating. I love getting rid of stuff.

So my Good Friend D gave me the Magic Chopper for Christmas as a gag gift. (It's a gag because I hate clutter and gadgets, get it?) I'm trying something new in my duties as chief cook and bottle-washer for the Dubs and the new thing (I'll tell you all about it after a few trial runs) requires the chopping of lots and LOTS of vegetables at once. I dragged out my Magic Chopper and you know what?

The thing works. Like a charm. It's saved me tons of time and probably a blister and possibly some cuts and nicks from my knife. (oh if only it would also make breadcrumbs or something!)

Thanks again, D! I'm grateful.

3 comments:

  1. HI Amy. I have one of these too and I love it. It makes fixing up my tuna salad a breeze.

    Ragan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deal or Dud LOVED that doohickey. They said it was a deal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heehee - I almost used mine last night, but decided to slice the zuke instead. When I use it, I love it - it's fun - it makes me feel strong and powerful - Ha! Take that, potato!

    ReplyDelete