Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Grateful #3

I like trees. Trees are nice. I'm a fan of trees.

In the Coastal Plain of the United States we have a lot of trees.

In our own yard we have trees: two live oaks, a pine, and several crape myrtles. Everyone in my neighborhood has live oaks and pines in their yards. Live oaks and pines are ubiquitous in our little corner of the world. (Isn't "ubiquitous" an awesome word?)

Did you ever hear this poem when you were a child?

Trees
by Alfred Joyce Kilmer

I think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.
A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the earth's sweet flowing breast;
A tree that looks at God all day,
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;
A tree that may in Summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;
Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain.
Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree.

Oh yes, I am grateful for trees.

And particularly right now, in the springtime, when all the live oaks and pines are pollinating, I'm especially grateful for this:

4 comments:

  1. I think I will have to get me some Astelin. This year I am suffering.

    As for trees, we don't have any more. The really big oak was felled by the even bigger ice storm and the maple in the back yard was intruded upon by our room addition in the back. So, no more trees.

    I do miss them, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. trees = OXYGEN - anonymous is a moron apparently!!! I love trees - love looking at them, love sitting under them, love studying about them, love teaching about then. Going green should be about LOVING green - respecting green. I think I have a green heart and green blood - I love all things green!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous must live in Texas too. I love trees, but they often DO = roaches and allergic reactions. I am not a fan of those big ol' honkin' tree roaches. They fly, and they are big, and they don't die at first smash.

    ReplyDelete