Sunday, March 1, 2009

Grateful #1

This is a photo of my fence. The backyard fence on the west side. This fence blew down during Hurricane Ike last September. I remember looking out the window in the middle of the night during the hurricane and being able to see, in intermittent flashes of lightning, directly into our neighbor's yard.

I remember thinking, "Hmmmm... that's not good."

Our poor neighbor. The next morning when we went out to assess the damage our neighbor's roof was, along with the fence, all over our backyard. And a goodly portion of his huge Bradford Pear tree was all over our front yard.

Anyway, the fence blew down. The fence posts broke at ground level and whole sections were flat on the ground. It stayed down for quite a long time. First we were so overwhelmed at the devastation and all the work ahead of us. Then it was hard to get the necessary materials because, well, every other fence in the Greater Houston area was blown down.

I am grateful that the fence is now fixed. I'm grateful that our friend J came over to help me repair it. I'm grateful that he brought all his power tools with him. Because if he hadn't come, and he hadn't brought his tools, then it would have been me and my Little Prince out there with a hand saw and a hammer. You can't understand what a blessing a nail gun is until you are looking at 30 feet of fence with, oh I don't know, maybe 100 fence pickets, with six nails in each and every one. (And I'd already pulled all the old nails out of the approximately 100 pickets so we could reuse the pickets.) We'd probably still be out there hammering. But we're not.

And for that I'm grateful.

This is Hurricane Ike. See how it filled the whole Gulf?

2 comments:

  1. where was Mr Dub and those two strapping young men that live with you and eat up all the food you so graciously cook for them, and wear the clothing you so ungratefully clean for them? Squirts....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. Dub and the big boy were at work, the other two were helping me.

    ReplyDelete