Monday, March 23, 2009

Grateful #23

These fun people are part of our church family. K is the cubmaster for the cub scout den that my Little Friend belongs to and L is his wife. Their daughter is in my seminary class.

My grandparents have known K since he was a kid growing up in San Diego, California. That's weird to me. It's also a little comforting. I'm glad that there are all these connections in the church - connections that span generations.

I'm telling you, L is one smart cookie. She is so different from me, and is interested in all kinds of things that I've never thought twice about. For example, L is the kind of person who drives to the state capital and has meetings with our state representatives and senators about issues that confront our society and has no qualms, misgivings, or fears about letting her opinions and preferences be known.

(I could never do that. I'd be too worried about tripping over my own feet and making an even bigger fool of myself. In the state capital building of all places. Where all the movers and shakers are. And besides, it's a long drive. The most politically active I ever got, other than simply showing up to vote, was one time going to the party after the polls closed. I think it's called a precinct caucus? It was interesting but...)

L goes to the state capital all the time, and she takes her kids with her, and now her kids are also interested and involved in the political process.

L is a writer. She's written books. She's written short stories. She's written magazine and newspaper articles about various topics.

L and K have a huge dog named Samson. I think he's scary. But she and her family love this dog. They call him Sammy. It's cute, isn't it? That this huge, scary dog has such a sweet and mild nickname?

Political people. Writers. Dog lovers. What an interesting world it is! I'm grateful for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment