Monday, August 31, 2009

why, yes, I am


the center of the universe, thank you very much.

I had a conversation the other day with my Little Friend that has knocked me for quite a loop and made me re-examine my attitude, my goals, my very purpose in life.

It all started innocently enough. Little Friend had brought home the usual avalanche of back-to-school paperwork and hidden in there was a paper advertising that our school district is looking for lunch ladies. School lunch ladies. At all the schools.

My own mom was a school lunch lady for a time. It has no creepy or awful connotations to me. To me it's just a job, and a pretty cushy one at that. Ten dollars an hour? To work a couple hours a day? And never have to work weekends or holidays? You got it.

So I said to my Little Friend, "How would you like it if I worked in the lunchroom at your school?" And he said sure, that would be fine. Then I said to him something along the lines of "But you know, if I had to do a job, I wouldn't have as much time to make all the magic around here".

And then he laid it on pretty thick. He said, "Mama, it's always magic around here when you're happy".

You know what? It's a lot of responsibility being the center of the universe.

5 comments:

  1. Magic when you're happy, tragic when you're not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Better make sure she is happy lots. How sweet is Jake?

    ReplyDelete
  3. did he give you one of those silly little grins he does, as well? Way to make all the other chuckleheads look bad, jake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is truly amazing how children can speak so plainly but can make such a profound and sometime poignant statement in their own innocent way. What a great life learning situation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When it comes to Mamas and wives, you can't lay it on too thick... he's learning a lesson now that will benefit him his whole life! :o)
    chucklehead is a very funny word, Kariee!

    ReplyDelete