Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Oh heck

I watched Oprah today. For the first time in many, many years. Maybe 10 or 15 years. I consider watching Oprah a sign that things are not okay inside my head and can usually talk myself out of it. But today she had some people who've appeared on that A&E show Hoarders.
I think that I know quite a few people who are hoarders and I was wondering while I was watching it if it is such a common problem that everyone knows quite a few people who are hoarders, or if there is something about me that attracts hoarders into my life.
I think that I am the opposite of a hoarder - I feel compelled and obsessed with decluttering and unloading "excess" stuff. I wonder if that qualifies as a mental illness itself. It has interfered with my relationships at times. It definitely makes me feel upset and angry if there is a lot of stuff laying around. Isn't there a show about a woman who can't feel sentimental about things and desires to throw away all her family's crap?
I am repelled, disgusted, and at the same time unable to look away from that show. It may be cliche but how do people live like that?
I was feeling much better today about things but now I'm worried that watching Oprah may be a signal that things are taking a bad turn. Then I read an article, after briefly considering calling the doctor for an Rx and nipping this thing in the bud, that anti-depressants are no more effective than a placebo in all but the most severe depression.
So that was just really wonderful news.

2 comments:

  1. Taco Bell lunch? or el waddie (I know that's spelled wrong, but, you know)... let's go do something tomorrow. I'm so sorry you got to a point in your life that you watched Oprah! (gasp!) I'll even get a pedicure with you if you want.
    I love you mucho!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it's bad. I guess you inherited the anti-hoarder thing from me. If I can throw out a bag or three of crap, I had a good day. But it still stacks up around me like towers.

    I watched Oprah a few weeks ago--also Dr. Phil. In OKC they're on at 3:00 and 4:00 PM on ABC. I guess they were bad days for me, because lately, I have no interest in either. Hang on, this will pass...

    We'll be in Austin the evening of the 27th. We'll leave Sunday AM for Ft Worth. We're going to attend Alisa's musical matinee on that day. I hope you can come over while we're there (in Austin). I love you, your girl, and her girl.

    ReplyDelete