Monday, January 19, 2009

The Fairest

I was fortunate to talk to my niece on the phone on Sunday. She is such a sweet and pretty girl. She's in kindergarten and when I asked how it was going she said that school is great! And she's already learned the alphabet! And she made a book about it but she can't find it! And when she does find it, I can have it.

She makes me smile.

I worry about her a lot because she lives far away from me and I don't see her often enough. I do know that she's in very capable and loving hands. I guess what I'm really worried about is that she'll forget me.

I came across this poem by Major Henry Livingston, Jr and adapted it to fit this little lady. It captures my hopes and dreams for my brother's precious child:

To her charming blue-eyed niece
Auntie Amy wishest peace!
Wishes roses over strow'd
O'er her sublunary road!

No rude winds around her howl,
O'er her head no tempests scowl;
No red lightnings flash around,
No loud thunders rock the ground!

Bright has been her morning sun,
Brighter still be that to come!
All a blue serene above,
Within, all innocence and love.

4 comments:

  1. What a cute little girl! Gorgeous and expressive eyes. I love the poem... love that word sublunary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I told Calysta we would see you after my birthday. The first thing she said was, "Whaddaya mean, YOUR birthday? It's OUR birthday!" The next thing she said was We're going to see Amy--Jakey's mom? GREAT!! I can't wait!" I told her I had invited you to my retirement party (August 7) and if you don't come, she and I will take a road trip to Katy to see you. I don't think she's going to forget you any time soon.

    She loves both her Auntie Amys--It's Aunt Amy, Al's mom and Aunt Amy, Jakey's mom. She loves you both a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is quite looking forward to visiting you. She also wants you to be her pen pal. She made you some drawings on the little strawberry shortcake pad, and we mailed them the other day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are lucky - when I talk to her on the phone - I get an "I love you" and maybe a bye!!! She does visit me a lot though...so I am forever her luckiest aunt for sure!!!

    ReplyDelete