Thursday, January 22, 2009

You just never know

This is Cousin B. I've known her for about 10 or 15 years. I am older than 10 or 15. I am also older than 20. And 30. And that's all I'm saying about that.

I mention this so you will understand that I have not known Cousin B my whole life. In fact, I knew Cousin B for a while before I knew she was a cousin (a distant cousin).

I'll tell you how I found out.

We were sitting in a choir practice years ago, and happened to be paying attention for once instead of chatting and gossiping, and it was announced that anyone who had ancestry from Texas would be able to submit their information for a special presentation on Mormon pioneers in Texas. Cousin B and I immediately starting chatting and gossiping. (Remember that she was still just Friend B to me at this point.) Cousin B said that she had an ancestor from Harris County, Texas named Juliana Higginbotham.

My jaw dropped, and I was just blown away. Because I have an ancestor named Juliana Higginbotham from Jefferson, Texas. And I didn't know it but promptly found out that Jefferson is in Harris County. People, it is the same woman. Can you believe it?

(Cousin B and I live in Harris County, Texas. This good lady Juliana is buried right around here somewhere and someday Cousin B and I are going to go find her grave.)

I was able to share a funny family story with Cousin B. Cousin B's direct ancestor Clara was the the older sister of my ancestor Henery. Back in the 1800's, sixteen year-old Clara was angry, infuriated, and outraged when her widowed dad married this woman Juliana Higginbotham. On their wedding night, as the happy couple drove up the road to the family farm, Clara was taking Henery and all the other little brothers and sisters out into the darkening fields and hiding them. So dad and his new bride Juliana spent their wedding night looking for the young'uns. Instead of getting to know each other better. If you know what I mean.

Oh, that Clara was a crafty wench.

Cousin B did not inherit craftiness from Clara. B is the most peaceful and gentle and patient woman I've ever known. A person feels calm and mild in her presence. Cousin B is also very smart and very well-educated. She has a PhD - sometimes I call her Doctor B. I love Cousin B. I'm glad that I was paying attention for once in my life and I got the chance to know that my friend is actually family.

The moral of today's story is that dealing with teenagers can sometimes be tricky. Also, you just never know when you might find out that someone you admire and love and feel a kinship for is actually kin. So be nice to everybody, people. You're likely related to them.

And don't you think that is a great pic of Cousin B? I took that picture. With my new camera.

1 comment:

  1. Great picture of Cousin B! And a wonderful story... gotta feel for both Clara and Juliana in that situation.

    ReplyDelete