Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Tuesday's Quote

"I love you better now, when I can really be useful to you, than I did in your state of proud independence, when you disdained every part but that of the giver and protector."

This quote is from one of my most favorite books, but more on that in a minute.

This quote illustrates something that I struggle to remember to incorporate into my life every day, and that is that we love those whom we serve.

It's hard for me to love the perfect people who don't seem to need or want any help from me. We all know those people: the ones who seem to have it all together. The ones who seem to have everything we would like for ourselves. They're annoying, aren't they? I feel invisible in their company.

On the flip side, those people who I sometimes wish I could do without? The people that I love in theory but not in practice? According to the premise of "you love those whom you serve" one way of overcoming those antagonistic feelings in myself is to do something unselfish for them. I have to do better at this.

In the meantime, while I'm rooting out all my hateful and negative sensitivies and proclivities, I have lots of very pleasant and cooperative friends and family members who make it oh so easy to love them. Thank you, my people! You truly make my life worth living.

Now, back to the quote from one of my favorite books. Name the author and the book where I found this quote and I'll send you a present. It will be awesome. It will also be small. If there is more than one person who gets it right I will randomly select one of you. Leave your answers in the Comments section.
Time will be up on Wednesday, January 28 at 5 pm. Ready, set, GO!

3 comments:

  1. It was familiar, but I had to google it.
    Jane Eyre, one of My Favorite Books too.
    by Charlotte Bronte

    I just watched another version of Wuthering Heights this week, btw... I give it a thumb sideways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Google? GOOGLE? You're sneaky, gabby. I'll have to stipulate NO GOOGLING next time. You're right, though. I'll get you your prize very soon!

    ReplyDelete