Sunday, January 18, 2009

Survey Says...

It's time for a poll!

Think way back to when you were a kid. What was the first movie you remember seeing? Did you see it in a theater or at home? With your friends or your family? Did you like it?

The first movie that I remember seeing is Fiddler on the Roof. I remember my dad being there with me. My mom and possibly some younger siblings may have been there too but I don't remember that. My memory is that the theater was impossibly immense.

( Does this happen to you? Do things that you remember vividly from your childhood as being really big turn out in reality to be a lot smaller? It happens to me. I'm almost afraid to go back and have another look at the Rocky Mountains or the Pacific Ocean.)

I remember that it was really dark when we went in, and the huge, bright screen, and I remember looking up at my dad's profile reflecting the light from the screen as we sat there. I remember the movie being over. I don't actually remember watching the movie. I vaguely remember Tevye and I remember asking my mom about him. She said that Topol was the actor's name. I remember thinking what in the world kind of name is Topol.

Seeing the movie made an impression on my young brain. What I learned from that experience is movies=good, and Fiddler on the Roof=good. I have seen it many times since then and it's a great movie.

L'chaim!

3 comments:

  1. I am not sure but I think I remember seeing Superman in the theater. I could be wrong. But I think it was. I remember the scene with Lois Lane in the car and it filling up with dirt. I think that was in the theater. It is very large in my brain, the scene. Also dark and kinda noisy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was little, we went to the movies on Saturday morning without parents, if you can believe it, and saw kids movies for an hour or so--then went out and the parents picked us up. I remember after Grammy and Grampy were married and we had moved to San Diego, we went to the drive-in--saw a lot of westerns, and I remember seeing John the Baptist--the one where Salome brings the head of John to the Roman ruler--pretty gruesome, and Grammy told us to hide our eyes at that--of course I did. I don't know whether or not Bobby did. I saw it many years later and almost hid my eyes again--I could hear Grammy saying hide my eyes--but I looked. Even as an adult it seemed pretty gruesome--and I was glad that I hadn't burned that into my retinas as a little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was little my dad taught at a college in Big Rapids, Michigan. As a member of faculty, he could get us into the movie there free (shown on a portable screen on the football field - we sat on the bleachers to watch). With so many children (9 at that time), a free movie is not something to pass up!
    I remember seeing one called "The Mouse that Roared" - just little fragments in my memory. I thought it would be about a mouse, but it was more about bombs I think... we played on the bleachers more than we watched the movie.
    The first drive-in movie I remember was "The Ten Commandments", and the drive-in theater had hidden easter eggs for us to find during the boring parts.

    ReplyDelete