Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Home-keeping

A post on Simple Mom's blog got me to thinking about this subject.

Simple Mom says that Mark Twain said, "Eat a live frog every morning, and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day."

Simple Mom's suggestion is to tackle your hardest or most unpleasant project first thing in the morning. By doing so, she says, the rest of the day will be a piece of cake.

I don't like Simple Mom's suggestion. I'm not a morning person and morning is already a super busy time for me - teaching early morning seminary every weekday, getting the kids up and ready for school, getting everybody out the door on time. If, in addition to all that, I've set myself up to sort out a chaotic closet or make a lot of important phone calls or, heaven forbid, wash the mini-blinds, I might just decide to pull the covers over my head and spend the day in bed reading. I would curse the daylight instead of just grumping around for a little bit like I do now and then getting on with the day.

Unpleasant tasks must be done at some point, it is true, but why roll out of bed and have them staring you in the face? I like to do happy, easy, enjoyable and nice things in the morning.
Getting down and dirty with some awful chore can wait till later in the day when I have a little success under my belt and I've worked myself for up it. I'm a night person. Cleaning and organizing at night when I'm wide awake and energized and the house is peaceful and quiet and has a chance to stay clean for more than 15 minutes? That's how I roll.

Frog is a funny word. Say "frog". Say it slow and drawn out. It feels funny in your throat. It sounds ridiculous. The English language is hilarious, don't you think?

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you on this. That's why I log on to facebook every morning while I eat my breakfast after the kids are gone. The trouble is moving on to do anything else...

    ReplyDelete