Friday, May 15, 2009

The finish line...

...I can see it, but instead of sprinting, I feel more like I'm staggering toward it. Here's where I whine and complain and gripe and moan. Feel free to skip today's message of doom and gloom.

I'm tired. I'm in pain, every day (these danged broken ribs are still giving me trouble. Argh!). I'm a little frustrated. I'm antsy. I'm premenstrual. I'm anxious. I'm uncertain. I'm conflicted. I'm allergic. All this adds up to - I'm weary. Being weary is different than being tired.

There are bright spots and beautiful scenery along the weary road. Even though seminary is hard right now (I'm tired, the students are tired, I'm distracted, the students are distracted), we started the book of Revelation today. Which means YAY! we are almost done! and also a lot of WOW! that's so cool!

I've had lots of A-ha! moments while studying and preparing for these Revelation lessons. These moments are thrilling and also scary. (Scary because it becomes more and more clear to me as I study, and pray and think and reflect, that the gospel is true - so I better get my act together because this ain't no dress rehearsal - it's the real thing.)

Another thing that is both hard and wonderful is my son's approaching departure for his mission. I'm thrilled he's going. I'm happy that he's going to Sweden. I'm uncertain of how he'll be received there and how he'll handle the challenges. I'm conflicted because I'm not going to see him for two years. I'm also concerned because, for example, he still doesn't seem to have quite got the hang of getting the wet towel hung up on the towel hook after he showers. We've been working on it for nearly two decades but he's still not quite there yet. There may be a mountain of wet towels in Sweden before he leaves. Maybe they'll call it Mount Dub. It'll smell bad there on Mt. Dub.

There are other examples of this kind of thing but that will suffice. Basically it boils down to "Have I done everything I needed to do to teach him how to be an independent and functioning adult?" And the answer, most clearly, is no.

Allergies are awful. Miserable. How many times a day can one person blow her nose before her face implodes? Itchy eyes, itchy nose, itchy ears, itchy throat. Drip, drip, drip.

Seminary ends in two weeks. I have nine more seminary days. I can do anything nine times, right?

I need some sleep. I need some fun. I need summer break. It's coming - I can see it. And I'm staggering toward it.

If you read to the end of this, bless you. Here's something just for you:

5 comments:

  1. We're going to have so much fun in August. I can't wait!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reminds me of the year my early morning seminary teacher spent the last 2 weeks having us watch "Fiddler on the Roof". He said it was appropriate because we were studying the Old Testament. I think maybe he'd just had it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Calysta is super excited that you are coming, so there's that to look forward to.

    ReplyDelete