Thursday, May 21, 2009

sorrow

My friend Cheri lost her husband yesterday. He died several hours after the doctors removed his breathing tube on Tuesday. He only started feeling ill last month - it's been maybe 4 or 5 weeks. What they initially thought was a throat infection that was swelling and interfering with his breathing turned out to be cancer in his lymph nodes, then cancer also in his adrenal glands, then they discovered he had diabetes, and finally late last week they found he also had stage 4 lung cancer.

In the middle of all of this their youngest daughter was married - a very much anticipated and joyous event. Rick missed the wedding because he couldn't leave the hospital so the joy was mingled with great sadness.

I feel so sorry for Cheri and I can only imagine the strength she has needed as she as faced these last few days knowing without a doubt that her husband of 30 or so years was going to die. I can't imagine her thoughts and feelings as she woke up on Tuesday knowing that it was the last day she would spend with Rick.

Rick was such an amazing guy, always ready to give a helping hand. He taught many of the sessions of the CERT class I attended and was a firefighter for decades. He was so funny and so wonderful to Cheri and with all his kids and grandkids.

Cheri is only 5 or 10 years older than I am. I thought it would be a lot longer, 30 or 40 years, before my girlfriends started losing their husbands. It's kind of thrown me for a loop.

I feel sad today. For my dear friend Cheri who has lost the love of her life, and for dear Rick. The world won't be the same without him.

2 comments:

  1. is my greatest fear in life - losing my husband....gosh....cant imagine the pain and loneliness. Im sorry for your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He was only 5 yrs older than me, less than 3 older than my hubby. It has shaken me up. I love the picture you put up with this entry - so sweet and peaceful and lovely. I'm very glad you wrote about them today.

    ReplyDelete