Tuesday, July 21, 2009

reduce...reuse...recycle

I have come up with an idea so amazing, so incredible, so wondrous, and so thrifty that I just about blew my own mind. (I'm probably not the original thinker of this idea. I'm sure other people have been doing this for years. I'm not smart enough to be that original.)

Of course I have to send it out into the world to justify it and give it the honor that this idea is due. Otherwise it will be forgotten and discarded. Which would be just too bad.

About a year ago we started saving all our plastic shopping bags to take back to the store for recycling. It's taken me a while to get used to always having a pile of these things around. You know how much clutter bugs me. It actually keeps me awake at night. Anyway, it's the responsible thing to do, or so some say, and I have just adjusted my attitude and dealt with it.

Yesterday I needed packing materials to fill the big box that I had to buy to ship my mother's jam and cracker/bread thing. The bread discs are so big around that the box that would fit them sideways ended up being too tall or too deep or whatever. And I didn't want a glass jar of jam knocking around loose in all that space. And I didn't want to have to go buy packing peanuts because spending perfectly good money on them just seems ridiculous to me. I hate those things so much - the static electricity, the tiny broken bits that will not vacuum up - they're awful.

Voila! I used great big wads of bunched-up plastic shopping bags to cushion the glass jar of jam and keep everything secure and immovable in my shipping carton. You'll have to let me know, Mom, how it worked.

And make sure you recycle those bags. Or maybe you'd like to keep them around to use as shipping filler.

6 comments:

  1. So, your idea basically is to make them into somebody else's problem. Good show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOLOL too funny Mark! Amy...just buy some of the reuseable shopping bags. We do, and we find they are larger and hold more things, and we dont use as many "bags" for our shopping trips!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is briliant, Amy. I actually collect them from my friends roommate to scoop my kitty liter into. We have the resuable ones too which is nice since now we live in an upstairs apartment and don't want to make two trips down to the car.

    I am always looking for good re-purposing ideas for around the house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have started purchasing the reusable bags (@ $1.00 each) when we shop--one per week. So, I will be out of plastic bags soon--I use them sometimes for various things.

    I think now I will have a very large supply...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been using them for that for a while (thanks to my grandma doing the same). I also used them for dirty diapers. But I've gotten several of the reusable bags and they definitely fit more and are easier to carry. And they're great for library books and other things as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I inherited dishes from Amy Warner, they were packed in Target bags. So, good idea, but yes, it's been done.

    ReplyDelete