Monday, April 6, 2009

Am I controlling the weather?

We are a week into April, and along the Gulf Coast that means it is nearly summer. We're talking 80 degrees by 10 am. By the end of April I expect that we will be into the 90's in the afternoons and mid-to-upper 70's during the "cool" part of the day/night.

Es tropical, gente.

And yet, every time so far in 2009 that I've taken the extra blanket off my bed, thinking that surely "winter" is over, here comes another cold front. It's supposed to get into the 30's tonight. And you guessed it - the blanket came off the bed yesterday. It's been on and off the bed three times already this spring.

On Wednesday the cold front will be moving on. So we get that bizarre combination of 40 degrees when the kids leave for school in the morning, and 75 or 80 degrees when they get home. You know what that means, don't you? All the coats and jackets that my children own will be left at school this week.

Furnace going at night, air conditioner running all day. That means the gas bill AND the electric bill will be high this month. Wonderful!

I'm going to remember my blanket-off-the-bed trick in August when we are sorely in need of a cold front!

No comments:

Post a Comment