Wednesday, April 29, 2009

If you don't want to tell me...

My Little Friend made this stained glass masterpiece in art class at school a couple of months ago. It's made of black construction paper and clear and colored cellophane.

I think it's cute. I dutifully hung it on the refrigerator the day I found it in his backpack like any conscientious mother would. (And I do NOT want to hear any comparisons of this innocent and precious creation to something like, oh I don't know, the Washington Monument.)

Last week Little Friend asked me why I didn't hang it on the window. I said, "If I had taped it to the window the black paper would have faded. Black construction paper is cheap. They don't use very good pigments when they make colored construction paper. That way they can sell it for a couple dollars for 500 sheets. I like your art and I didn't want it to get ruined."
Little Friend: Why would the black paper fade?
Amydubdub: Because of the sun's UV rays.
LF: UV?
AWW: Ultra-violet.
LF: Ultra-violet?
AWW: Yes.
LF: Ultra-violet. (there is sarcasm and cynicism now in that sweet little voice)
AWW: Yes.

At that point I got an eye roll from my Little Friend. And he gave me a look that said, "If you don't want to tell me, why don't you just say so?"

His stained glass masterpiece is now taped to the window. Where it is allegedly being exposed every single day to these "ultra-violet" rays from the sun.

If you can believe in that kind of thing.

5 comments:

  1. It's a sad day when your baby becomes skeptical - it was so nice when they knew that you knew everything there is to know of the world. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. awww...he has left the "mom knows everything" zone, and is not entering the "parents lie about everything" zone. A painful, yet humor-fulled time in every parents life to be sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. tell him - only the bees see the UV light! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mark and I were laughing about this post last night. I can't wait to see him.

    ReplyDelete