Sunday, April 26, 2009

For Bob

Green hasn't ever been my favorite color. When I was a kid green was my mother's favorite. I remember that that was SO important to me - it was like I had some kind of concrete information about my mom. Some insight into her psyche. Some handle on how she worked. My mother has always been kind of a mystery to me. I wonder if that's true of all mothers and daughters.

Even though green isn't my favorite, there are plenty of outstanding green things. Here are a few:

Green... can...make... life...

swell.
Emeralds. Green lights. Tomatillos for green salsa. Money. The cool pattern of baseball park grass.

4 comments:

  1. Green is my favorite.

    And yes, that is true of all mothers and daughters.

    Yum Tomatillos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can always ask me anything, my darling girl. I don't mean to be a mystery - in fact I thought I was more like an open book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot that green was your Mother's favorite color. Thanks for the reminder. As a kid, I thought it was so funny that we liked completely opposite colors...green for her, red for me.

    So, Linda, is it still green?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still love green. My bedroom is done in various colors of green. However, for clothing and some other things, I have moved to red. --sorry Amy.

    Yes, Karie, mothers are always mysterious to their daughters. If not, the relationship suffers--mothers are not supposed to be "friends", but parents. You know many things about your friends, but your parents are -- well, they're your parents. So, it's true -- you're right, my beautiful Kare-bear.

    ReplyDelete