Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Stella!

Even though it was cold and frosty yesterday morning, Stella d'Oro made her first appearance in my yard. Of all the lily varieties, I think this one is my favorite - such a creamy golden color and friendly, starry shape. There are lots more buds on the plants so I think it will be a good show this year. If only stella d'oro weren't day lilies! I wish the blossoms lasted longer than one day.

In my perfect world the lily buds would all bloom at the same time and stay for a while instead of a handful of new ones each day. I think there's a metaphor for life in there somewhere.

Also in the flower garden yesterday morning:

Did you ever read the children's book Chrysanthemum by Kevin Henkes? It's cute. "She was a perfect baby and she had a perfect name. Chrysanthemum." Check it out.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I have a large flowering bush--two bushes planted together with dark pink and light pink blossoms of Rose of Sharon--and two peony plants. That's all except for a few various bulb flowers. --oh, and one spyria bush in back with pink flowers--it should be coming on soon. I wish I had a real flower garden. Please post more pictures as the season moves along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah... you're killing me. We're still grey and blah here. Thanks for sharing some color with me.

    ReplyDelete