Saturday, April 11, 2009

Early Morning


I'm not a morning person. I don't wake up in a good mood and I hardly ever feel good in the morning. I get up early almost every day to prepare for and teach seminary. (It's really more like getting up in the middle of the night to teach seminary.)

But today's message is not about complaining about seminary. It's not about waking up too early almost every day. It's not about feeling crummy in the mornings.

Today's post is about how sweetly the birds sing in the morning.

Every day starting just before the sun comes up a bird sits on top of my chimney and sings. I know that birds don't sing for joy, or for the sweetness of the sound, or to make my life seem worth living in the early a.m. Birds are wild animals - they sing to mark territory and to communicate with other birds about what's going on. The bird's song is amplified as the sound travels down the chimney into my family room so that it sounds like the bird is sitting right next to me. It's like my own personal concert. I think it's amazing that a thing so creepy as a bird, with his beady little eyes and scaly, scary feet, can make such a lovely sound.

I sit there for a few minutes every morning listening to the bird sing and I feel better. I feel like the world is inherently good. I feel peace and happiness.

Thanks, bird.

3 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about mornings. They are my worst time too. I can't believe you teach seminary! I can't believe that I got 100% attendance at early morning seminary back in the day. (it was my dad's doing. He got us up!)
    I agree about birds too- they're among my favorite things in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been teaching early morning seminary for five years next month. FIVE! I got a medal - I really did. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard they sing for no reason at all, which means they are making art.

    ReplyDelete