Sunday, September 20, 2009

God Loved Us...


...So He Sent His Son

(Hymns, No. 187, 3rd verse)

Oh, love effulgent, love divine
What debt of gratitude is mine,
That in His offering I have part
And hold a place within His heart.

Effulgent is a good word. Effulgent: shining forth brilliantly; radiant.

We sang this hymn in church today. The third verse struck me particularly. It is quite an extraordinary thing to believe in, and yet I feel something - I don't know - cosmic whisper to me that it's true. I'm grateful I have felt God's love for me and that I've felt his love for other people. Especially while preparing for seminary during times of prayer and reflection I often felt that God loves and cares for those teenagers and wants them to be happy. I believe God is the source of the love that I felt for them. It was sometimes quite overwhelming.

You could say, if you were quite poetic, that it was effulgent.

2 comments:

  1. Funny, the only thing I've ever felt from "God" was a sense of supreme indifference. I just don't need any more of that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Funny" is not the word I'd choose, but I understand what you're saying, Mark.

    ReplyDelete