Monday, February 23, 2009

Barefoot Contessa

Have you seen the Barefoot Contessa on TV's Food Network? The Contessa herself is Ina Garten.

(What a name, by the way. Sheesh. It's not as bad as that you've-got-to-be-kidding-me Ima Hogg of Texas fame. At least Ina's maiden name is Rosenberg -thank heaven it wasn't her parents who dreamed up Ina Garten. Garten is her married name. Although if it were me and my name was Ina I'd have thought twice about taking Jeffrey's name. I might have thought more than twice. One time I met this somewhat cute and interesting guy who asked me out and I turned him down because I knew there could never be a future for us. Because of his last name. I guess I'm just shallow that way.)

I love watching the Barefoot Contessa. Here are the reasons:
  • She has a beautiful, uncluttered home. Her kitchen is lovely.
  • She's not "hollywood". She looks and dresses like a normal person.
  • She seems friendly and interested in everyone she encounters as she goes about her day.
  • She cooks real recipes using regular food. She doesn't give out guilt trips if you just want to use regular grocery store ingredients. She doesn't make you feel like you have to get all your supplies from specialty food shops. Like some other homemaking maven who shall remain nameless. (This means you, Martha Stewart.)
  • She used to work in the White House as a budget analyst and wrote papers on nuclear energy. She has an MBA. She's a smart cookie.
  • When she throws a dinner party she lets somebody else do the decorating/setting the table/grilling. She shares the work. Brilliant.
  • She obviously loves her husband. I like a person who loves her husband. They've been married more than 40 years and she looks completely devoted to him. I'm impressed by that. She's always making special meals for him and loving on him on her show.

I wish I was nervy enough to call myself The Contessa. It sounds better than The Queen. But I'm not nervy enough so I guess The Queen will have to do.


4 comments:

  1. I watch about 3 things on TV - Fox News, CNN (to see what the "other side" is talking about), and the Food Network. Ina is like a friend who comes to my house to show me neat food items to fix for the people I love. She's great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Ina as well, but not as much as über-dork Alton.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorites are Tyler Florence, Bobby Flay, Alton Brown, Ina Garten, and Giada DeLaurentiis (when she wears certain shirts/tops that emphasize her...cooking abilities). What kind of a loser am I that I love the Food Network?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ty loves it when I watch Giada. He says she has a certain somethin' somethin'...
    I think she's hilarious.

    ReplyDelete