Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Product Review

Zatarain's New Orleans Style Dirty Rice Mix

We love this stuff. I think it's meant to be a side but we eat it as the main dish. It's spicy and flavorful and filling. It's perfect if you don't feel like cooking dinner but your family still feels like eating dinner. I suppose that it could be compared to a Hamburger Helper-type meal. Except it's so much tastier and not so...I don't know..."glumpy" is the only word that comes to mind.

Start with about a pound of ground beef (I usually buy ground sirloin because it's lean) and brown it in a saucepan, breaking it up into smaller crumbles as you go. Then you add the envelope of rice and seasonings from the box and some hot water and let it cook for 25 minutes on low.

There you go. Dinner is ready. You could have a green salad with it or cook up some frozen peas and serve that.

"Glumpy" is probably not a real word. But I bet you know exactly what I mean.

6 comments:

  1. yep, and I think it's the right word. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm okay with glumpy.

    when you're in college and hungry RIGHT NOW...

    glumpy will do just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I make it with turkey kielbasa - yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always use a spicy sausage.

    But then, I am kind of a spicy sausage.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do the red beans and rice - with a jalapeno skinless keilbasa - super tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I make the Zatarain's dirty rice with ground beef....but I've found that using their Jambalaya mix with ground beef is even better. It has a little more flavor than the dirty rice mix.

    ReplyDelete