Monday, February 9, 2009

I want to KNOW

how the universe was created. Was the Big Bang really the way it happened? Did a tiny, atom-sized seed of creation suddenly...POW! BLAM! into the immensity of what we have now?

Or was it some other way we have not even begun to understand?

Is the universe really still expanding in all directions? Why can't I feel that? Is there a center point of the universe from which it is expanding? If there is, where is it? If there isn't, where is it all coming from? Is the universe going to shrink back down to that atom-sized...thing...when it's done expanding? Will I be able to feel that? Will anybody notice? How long will that take? How did everything get so big? Why?

What part does gravity play in the creation of the universe? How does time work across the universe?

These are some of the things that keep me up at night.

2 comments:

  1. me too. But I think there's value in not knowing too.
    I have recently come to realize that I don't sit well with things not coming together neatly. A few months ago I had an apparent TIA (an apparent mini-stroke) which is only determined by symptoms, but no evidence on an MRi. Difficult to swallow. My daughter recently at age 14 became severely anemic and needed a blood transfusion. Her blood volume was life threateningly low, but so far there is no proof of how she lost that amount of blood. A mystery. Two weeks ago a friend died unexpectedly. She had a very small brain tumor which decided to bleed, and she died. None of this makes sense, and what I have learned about myself through this all, is that I have to accept them and just see what tomorrow brings. And that no matter how e try, some things will just not make sense. In my daughter's case she is well now, and I believe that she has been healed by the prayers we beseeched for her, but then again, who knows. Life is a Mystery. Thanks for this post it's helped me voice hat I have ot been able to voice appropriately thus far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just recently lectured my environmental lab class on the big bang theory and have an article that does a good job explaining the current and past scientific theories on the questions you raised. I can mail it to you if you like - its too long to try and shorten - a lot of pertinent info.

    Long and short of it - the universe is currently believed to be in a non-expanding state - but will expand again at some point. Prmoridal soup theories etc. Let me know if you want to see the article. Its kind of interesting.

    Remember - a scientific theory is merely the most current scientifically accepted plausible explanation for an event or phenomenon. They do change - paradigm shifts occur even in the scientific community.

    ReplyDelete