Sunday, June 7, 2009

Cookie goes to McDonald's


Every Saturday Cookie and I have a date to eat breakfast together at McDonald's before we do our weekly grocery shopping. It's a tradition in our house. He gets some one-on-one attention from Mama and he revels in it.

Cookie orders the same thing every week - Cinnamon Melts and chocolate milk. He's a creature of habit. He likes what he likes and he has no reason to ever change. Why would he? He knows what he likes - and it's not a sausage or egg and cheese biscuit. I have to agree that frosted cinnamon roll bits and chocolate milk make a pleasant change from his usual breakfast of oatmeal and orange juice.

A few months ago I wasn't that hungry one Saturday morning so I offered to him the hash browns that came with my breakfast and he discovered that he liked them. After that I offered them to him for a few weeks in a row, and then he started asking for them. It's been months now that he's eaten my hash brown potato patty every single Saturday.

This Saturday he just reached over and took the hash browns off the tray. No asking if he could have them, no waiting to be offered them. In his mind, they have become his.

This is how it is. I wonder if I just started eating the hash browns one Saturday morning before he had a chance to take it if he would object to my eating "his" stuff?

Of course he would.

1 comment:

  1. That's exactly how they just take over our lives... we think it's cute the first time and before we know it, there's no ice-cream in the house. or cookies. or General Tso's chicken... and we are the ones to blame for not having foreseen the shortage and purchased more before the crisis. I tell you, it's them vs. us!

    ReplyDelete