Sunday, June 28, 2009

prayer

Old Woman Praying, by Nicholaes Maes

This month's Visiting Teaching lesson about prayer has really made an impact on me. The scripture and one of the quotes have stayed with me and I've pondered them and felt gratitude for this beautiful principle.

Doctrine & Covenants 112:10 - Be thou humble; and the Lord thy God shall lead thee by the hand, and give thee answer to thy prayers.

Elder Bruce R. McConkie - "Prayer changes lives. Through it we draw near to the Lord, and he reaches out his finger and touches us, so we never again are the same. Prayer is a great tower of strength, a pillar of unending righteousness, a mighty force that moves mountains and saves souls" ("Patterns of Prayer," Ensign, May 1984, 32).

Like most of my thoughts, my prayers are pretty simple. I try to make them sincere and like a lot of mothers, I'm sure, my most fervent prayers are about my children and what to do.

It blows my mind a little bit to think that a person like me, as insignificant to the whole world as I am, could communicate with the Creator of the universe. And not just that I can and am permitted to pray, but that He has commanded that I pray. And not just me, but every person.

1 comment:

  1. thank you... this is a good thing for me to think about today.

    ReplyDelete